Monday, October 2, 2017

I Just Wanna Stitch! 2

Progress is slow, but steady, on my worn bed quilt.




Another hole required attention, the beginning of another set of wings.









Yeah, I know, another big project. 
Stitching into the wee hours of the night...




My friend's antique quilt, made by her grandmother and great-grandmother in Pennsylvania, gave me a diversion this summer. 


There was a rather large hole in the middle (mice, maybe?) that just begged for repair. 


Having mostly fabric from used clothing in my stash, it was easy to find similar fabrics and colors.
The repair job is almost invisible.




While I stitched and admired the work on this quilt, I could hear the makers whispering to me across the generations. I recorded the quilt's history on a tag stitched to the back. 
Of course, this made me remember that my grandmother's quilts await me for repairs. I would like to talk to her for awhile...

8 comments:

Els said...

Ahhhh Nadia ! these mirrored pieces you're making !!!
Like intricate butterfly wings ! Very special ("wheels" , ha !)

So nice to have these old quilts waiting and talking to you !
(it connects generations ... envy you a bit ;-) ...)

Julie Fukuda said...

I really like your creative mending. I have a quilt made by my great grandmother with a number of patches needing mending, as the mordants in the dye in some of the fabrics has rotted them. ... and then there is the quilt the dog has chewed...

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a fun post! That old bed quilt you're mending is going to be so much more spectacular for the additions. And how nice of you to mend your friend''s family quilt. I know what you mean about hearing the whispers of those who worked on it. Now your friend and whoever it gets passed down to will hear your whispers as well.

Linda said...

I Love how you're giving new life to old quilts!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I hear you about wishing to talk to our grandmothers for awhile....both of mine were quilters (and my maternal grandma also embroidered and knitted lace). I believe my stitching abilities came from them because my mother didn't seem to have much interest (she was a watercolor artist, a gene that didn't get passed down to me). I knew both my grandmothers but of course was too young to appreciate what they did.

O'Quilts said...

Very nice..looking at history, will anyone remember or love the things we do. I know we do, that is all that matters I guess, and how we share with each other. My husband died at 70. I will be 70 in December...nothing like sewing and creating to make a life so fine. xo

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I like how you're making your quits live on in usefulness. And yes, I'd love to talk with my grandmother again. I miss her every day.

Unknown said...

Amazing history and such lovely work. So glad you were able to save it's lovely story.