Sunday, March 24, 2013

Perhaps a Purse, 2

Tunisia possesses a small leather industry, mostly for the benefit of tourists. However, occasionally one finds interesting purses and bags. Many years ago, I would eye them with envy and sadness because I couldn't justify the expense for something that I was going to throw around and wear out rapidly (I'm rather negligent of my purses. They take a beating). I would feel sorry for myself, woe is me.......

Then one day my fabric stash stared back at me and said "You've got what it takes to make purses, lovie." Which made me realize that I could have a plethora of purses and test out ideas as well. So I figured out how to make a simple bag (about 11"x15"/ 28cm x 38cm) and asked the local carpenter to make me sticks with holes in the ends (12"/30cm long) to run the straps through.
I sewed appliqué on strip piecing made of old shirts.



















I painted on fabric, and combined with strip piecing. Love those pinks.














I made one for my mom to take to her spinning events.

My favorite is in black and white with colorful appliqués. All the fabrics came from flea market clothing. Recycling at its best. 


tried out another design with painted fabric left over from another project. A useful tote. Lately I have been feeling envy again. My bags have aged (read that as, worn out and ragged) like the one below. Yet, I like its soft greens, which have been beaten into mellowness. It will probably get recycled into another piece
However, all sorts of beautiful fabric bags and purses may be found in magazines, books, and online, making me turn green with envy. The time has come to test out all the purse hardware that I bought in the States last year and up my game.



19 comments:

MariQuilts said...

What a great way to test ideas!! They look great.

deanna7trees said...

purses, pouches, i just love having lots of them and giving them as gifts. love your ways of testing out ideas in the purses and bags. i've been putting my bobbin lace pieces on them. i'm not much for hanging things on the wall.

Els said...

Mmmmm ... you should start a shop ... !?

Sarah Martin said...

lol I was just at Penney's last night looking at the purses and thinking the same thing!
I love your sticks configuration for the handles. Great idea! Are you using one long strap through them both (so the weight of the bag keeps it closed) or 2 straps, one on each?

I just had a book out from the library, "Handmade Chic" by Laura Bennett. Chock full of great ideas and it shows how easy peasy to make it look smart with the "real" bag hardware.

So fun! : )

MulticoloredPieces said...

Yes, Sarah, I just used one long strap and the weight of the bag keeps it closed. Of course, it's lined and with as many pockets as possible.

Patty said...

Great idea for the straps! Also a
fine way to use UFOs...thanks!

Katie said...

Great! I am drawn to that bright pink one!

Merilyn said...

Each little bag is a work of art in of itself!!!! I love the simplicity of bags, their utility, their timeless necessity!!!! Portable works of art!!!! Thankyou for sharing yours, great to know each had another life, love that!!!!!

Carli The Quilter said...

I love making my own purses, lovely to see you do the same!

O'Quilts said...

Doesn't art just take care of itself! These are just wonderful. Just looking at them makes me happy.

sweetypie said...

looks like spring in tunisia.- me I am getting cabin fever and snow blindness windchill factor of minus 20- actually wearing some of my quilts I really need to spring clean my sewing room ---but it doesnt feel like spring! ooh boo hoo hoo shivery hugs.. tina

Linda A. Miller said...

Wonderful...really enjoy the muted colors of that last bag. Is it done or will that be one you try out new hardware on?

Living to work - working to live said...

I am intrigued - how did a west coast girl end up quilting on a small farm in Tunisia? Is it a working farm (ie are you a farmer?) or is it just a small patch of land? The colours look so wonderful and the land so warm and inviting that I must admit to being a little bit jealous.

Margarita Korioth said...

Love your painted motive you appliqué on the purse.

Susan Lenz said...

Great ideas! Great collection!

Heather Pregger said...

These are really fun!

gloria said...

Very beautiful !!!!.

Judy Alexander said...

Can never have enough purses....

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

How very clever of you to use the wood framework for your bags! I like them all. And I really like that you find a way to use what you have instead of whining about what you don't have. :)