Tuesday, September 5, 2017

The Beach, 1



Warm weather and a beach culture define life in Tunisia. Mr. M. grew up on lovely, sandy beaches while I grew up in the shadow of mountains and rain forests. However, I have adapted. 

Once in a while we spend a weekend at the beach 45 minutes away. While Mr. M. wades into the sea, I hit the swimming pool and then join him under a parasol. If I can find a comfortable chair or chaise-long in the shade, I can now enjoy the beach for hours...as long as I don't have to go into saltwater.


For this excursion, I took an old friend that I have been working on occasionally for 7 years. 

It has whispered to me over the years, but, it never said anything to me clearly. I have waited patiently.











And while I stitched for hours under a glaring sun, and listened and ruminated, it finally spoke to me in a loud voice.

It is now part of my series on the passage of time that shreds the fabric of life. It gave itself a simple name: "Her Sun Set".
Now that this piece has spoken, I can see where it is going--still many more holes to stitch under a Tunisian sun...

10 comments:

Ms. said...

Ah she speaks clearly and simply so that all might understand
that she, like we, like grains of sand are one with the tides

Julie Fukuda said...

Nice way to use time in the sun. I can't swim in a pool because I sink right to the bottom so I'd go for salt ... and goggles to look at the fish ... and swim in an oversized t-shirt so no one has to see me in a swim suit.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Isn't it amazing when something does speak to you and tells you what it wants! Beautiful colours in this piece. I wouldn't be joining you at the beach though - sun and I don't agree, despite the fact I love it.

Martha said...

Such a rich piece and the story makes it even richer. Thanks!

The Idaho Beauty said...

How exciting! How beautiful. How perfect the direction it has spoken.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I do love it, Nadia, when the project speaks, as they often do! You look wonderful! Glad you and Mr. M are enjoying life together.

Silvana Vituriano Celistre said...

So beautiful!

Linda M said...

Wow! I'm looking forward to watching this piece evolve.

Carol said...

Been coming over and visiting, but have not had time to stop and comment since Bob has been suffering from dementia. I miss commenting; well enough said about that. Just wanted to say this is a mighty wonderful and creative piece. Can't wait to see the finish. xoxo

Suzanna said...

A beautiful piece! I've been away so long...am enjoying seeing what you've been up to.