Sunday, October 7, 2012

Gasping Garden


My garden gasped through August, revived with four days of rain and slightly lower temperatures in September, which gave a second spring.
Now it's gasping again during the Indian summer with temperatures in the 90°s F. (35-38° C.), dropping only slightly at night. The warm weather doesn’t fool me—I know it’s time to prepare for winter, so the roof got it’s coat of water-proofing (the back-breaking inconvenience of a flat roof), and then out came the paint cans and brushes. While my husband takes care of repairs, the shutters, doors, gates, and railings have been getting my attention. 


I like the freshly painted shutters--no dust. That will last for about a week.


Have you noticed that people on Pinterest have whole boards about gates? Which made me appreciate my no-nonsense garden gates made of pallet wood and freshly painted. 



Besides being kind of cute, they serve to keep our farm dogs off the patios and out of the raised flower beds.
A few new objets trouvés (sounds nice in English, fancy way of saying ‘found junk’) have been added to my kitchen terrace garden. I discovered a bicycle chain and sprocket in a field. I resisted the urge to paint the sprocket (round rusty metal object on left, below).
                                   I like the sculptural effect of the chain.
On the right, an old bird cage got painted along with the shutters. Good plant protection from the cats. One of my cats just walks into, onto, and over potted plants--even prickly succulents. 
For this project, I cut wires on the side of the cage to be able to open it up and insert pots.
           Of course, I must point out that my bidet (which began here) is looking better than ever. My dentist stopped by for a (friendly) visit and when he saw it, he decided to put an old sink and bathtub in his garden to plant. As I've mentioned before here, Tunisians love to accumulate and now he's pleased that he kept them.
On the left you can see a rusty piece of wrought iron railing that showed up out of nowhere. I’ve got to get a grip on the junk around here!

18 comments:

Unknown said...

I love everything about your garden. It makes me happy just to look at it. I hope it makes you happy too.

deanna7trees said...

love seeing and hearing about your garden. what is that plant in the picture where you talk about the sculptural effect of the chain. looks like a thick stalk with flower like shapes at the top. i love that.

Diane Wright said...

Oh, where to begin?...love the chain, the sprocket and the caged succulents. Little wonder your dentist was inspired. Most would be.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What good use you've made of found objects! I love using things that would otherwise be thrown away.

Michelle said...

I love your garden! That bird cage idea would also work well to keep plants safe from our chickens...now I've got to keep my eyes open for a bird cage or two!

Ms. said...

Oh, my dear Nadia, no wonder you are loath to leave. It is glorious. By the way, those rusty bits of metal are perfect for dyeing with...wrapping in a bundle before immersion into a dye bath will produce beautiful and surprising shapes on cloth when unwrapped a week later.

American Homestead said...

I love all the succulents! The garden looks peaceful and beautiful.

Roxanne said...

Your garden is so delightful. Thanks for letting us visit it through your photos.

sewing susan said...

I loved seeing all the amazing succulents and the garden art nestled in The succulents look so vibrant and alive I also love to garden here in the Pacific NW. What a change for you Tunisia from Salem Oregon.

Carli The Quilter said...

Winter is on our doorstep for sure. Our autumn colors are slowly being stripped from the trees as wind whips the life from the landscape. Still sunny during the day, we've begun to burn our wood stove again, warm and cozy!
Thanks for a look at your garden! Nice gates!

Bonnie Hull said...

Looking good! Still can't get over the pictures of my house...passed on a milliner's needle this week...xo B

blandina said...

I would like to come and walk into your garden. I am sure it is full of inspirational little spots that reflect your love for the unusual and your amazing sens of aesthetics.

Anonymous said...

I lovelove your garden. It is so exotic. Your succulents are fantastic and look so healthy.
I also like what you call junk and how you arrange it in amongst plants and leaning on walls.
We have one thing in common...I also have a birdcage in my garden...painted a deep red :)

Carol said...

I love all your little vignettes and junk too. Nothings better than making good use out of used or unwanted things. Hoorah!!!

Radka said...

I like your idea with a bird cage. x

Unknown said...

What a lovely garden, I love the sculptures! I know it doesn't look like this after the storm but aren't you glad you got these photos?

I love you art inside and out!

libbyquilter said...

these found items have made beautiful garden art for you.
the bike chain is wonderful~!

:-)
libbyQ

Amoola said...

Beautiful...am taking some serious notes!