Thursday, September 26, 2013

An Open Letter


Dear Blogging Friends,
      First of all, I would like to thank all those who left a comment about comments over at MulticoloredSnippets. As I explained, my work load has increased due to family circumstances and a teaching job that starts tomorrow, and I had debated about shutting down the comments section since I am simply unable to respond to comments. I truly appreciated the feed-back and so I have been able to decide (without feeling guilty) that I will leave the comments section open with the understanding that I won't be able to respond for the time being except to specific questions, which I will try to answer immediately in the comments section. Like everyone else, I enjoy getting comments and on certain rough days I live for those comments. I appreciate the recognition of my work and this is the only place I get it, for the time being. Now I will look forward to visiting your blogs and leaving comments during vacations--this is such a creative community of which I want to be a part. 
      Secondly, I went to Tunis today to see my dentist (you needed to know this, right?). Wouldn't you know, two days before classes start, I had a sharp broken filling that wounded my tongue. Tomorrow I have to talk all day [my husband says I talk too much. I say it's lucky I got a job that pays me to talk] and how do you do that when you can't move your tongue? Thus, the visit to the dentist. 
       The point of all this is that I was thoroughly horrified by the filth of all kinds in the big city. Street vendors have taken over quite a number of streets--the word "rabble" comes to mind. The police seem totally overwhelmed (or else they're not getting orders to keep order), the situation is chaotic. My dentist, who owns a lovely apartment for his office in an old colonial building is now seeking another location--mind you, this is prime real estate in downtown Tunis. I've never seen the capital like this and I feel so sorry for all the Tunisians I know. They are just as horrified. And, of course, the state of the streets reflects the state of the State.
      Suddenly, I didn't want to be here anymore. Like in so many other countries, the city is moving out to engulf the agricultural regions. Our farm will not be able to resist much longer, especially with the total lack of local authority and rampant, uncontrolled construction taking place. Maybe I can face changes with more detachment, now. Or maybe the status quo will continue, but we will entrench ourselves and not go into the city unless necessary. My artwork will probably reflect this more and more--a terrible, wrenching cry from the guts.
      Today was a hard day. And yet, the sun shines, a warm breeze rustles the leaves, I have a roof over my head, food on the table, and loved ones around me. Tomorrow will be a better day. Thank you for listening and understanding. Thank you for your virtual presence and encouragement. Thank you for clicking and taking the time to read.

best, 
nadia

16 comments:

Donna~~ said...

Oh Nadia, I'm sorry to hear about the problems, and hope things will improve soon. I enjoy reading about your life, and art, your plants, and seeing the area. But, most importantly, please stay safe.

Becky said...

Gosh, I will be thinking about you. I too have been blogging less and less. I hope your family stays safe and secure.

Linda A. Miller said...

Much change for you...may your teaching flourish! Sorry to hear the state of affairs in Tunis. May you be safe and well. Good to leave the comment line open...connection is important, even if you cannot respond as quickly as you would like.

Julierose said...

Terrible to hear about your city's conditions; so sad. I wish you joy in your new career and am hoping that you have time to continue with your exquisite cloth works...hugs, Julierose

The Inside Stori said...

Your heartfelt post today was both chilling and encouraging. Chilling because the situation sounds scary and dreadful, encouraging because you are being strong and taking steps to do what is necessary to have a good life, despite the challenges. I'm happy to know you!!

BTW.....the mountains of Western North Carolina are breathtaking......but don't look at the roadsides.....they are filthy..... It's beyond me how people in a country like the US can so carelessly litter......it's everywhere....and it's sickening. We moved here from Wisconsin, the cleanest state in the US....I took it for granted because I thought every place was like that.....sadly NOT! Sorry to vent...your issues are far worse.....perhaps quilters need to run the world!!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

It sounds as though the conditions there are deteriorating at an alarming rate. Please stay safe - you and your family! As for responding to comments - we understand!

Merilyn said...

Sounds as though your life will get busier now that you have a teaching job! I know how that is!, sometimes a full-time job can eat away at your time, it certainly has done with mine over the past few months. I have only just caught up with your blog, and have read through the last few posts. I do hear on the news the continuing troubles, what a shame it has come to this, and with no possible end in sight!! Do stay safe, I wish you well with your new job. I have to say I enjoyed seeing your beautiful garden and that new garden table with those ancient rocks as the base, you did a great job there. I do wish you well Nadia, and I will continue to read your blog with great interest. Stay safe, and happy teaching!!!!

Carol said...

Sorry to hear about all the unrest and chaos. I pray for you and others that are affected. I will continue to stop by and be informed and inspired. My best to you.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

It seems the whole world is teetering on the brink of chaos. I'm sorry it has become so very real to you. Most of us are able to delude ourselves a little longer. And as you say, there is still SO much for which to be thankful. You take care of yourself.

blandina said...

With your spirit, your courage and your creativity you will be able to overcome all this. Nothing is for ever apart from death, and you are well alive and able to see where what counts is. Coarggio Nadia!

Nina Marie said...

I honestly don't have words to tell you how sorry I am that the country has become so chaotic - only know that I send prayers of peace to you and yours - as for comments - I answer mine when I can - sometimes life is so busy I can't. I know that everyone understands and I trust they will forgive me! I think all your readers should extend the same grace to you! I'm just thankful you're still writing!

Sherrie Spangler said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the sad state of affairs, but at least you don't have to live in the city. I'm sending healing thoughts -- and don't worry about not answering comments. All bloggers understand that sometimes life just gets in the way.

O'Quilts said...

The twists and turns of life just
never stop. Sending hugs from Charlotte. Sending more hugs!

Nancy said...

Nadia~ So sorry to read this letter you had to post. My your days become better and filled with new and interesting things. Take care of yourself in the most comforting ways you know how. Your gratitude for the abundance you do have can only help!

Tonya Ricucci said...

love reading your blog. not to worry, you never ever have to respond to one of my comments. so sorry life is difficult in Tunisia. Enjoy the new job!

Nat Palaskas said...

Dear Nadia, sorry to read of your life changing. You are a positive person and you see the bright side of everything. I hope going back to teach won't effect you too much. You are going to do such a great job to those children who need you - Take care and look after yourself - Hugs Nat