Saturday, April 28, 2012

On Resisting the Urge to Collect

Alongside the problem of accumulation, the urge to collect remains a threat to order in my house. I actively resist collecting, however, to keep control one must organize with conviction because some collections may prove necessary. I used to acquire professional books, however, now I collect texts, that is, digitized books confined to that magical rectangular box, the computer. Organized alphabetically and by subject, my library remains readily available and invisible.
          Other collections may have sentimental value, therefore one must take extra precautions, such as rounding them up in one place. My mom's copper and brass collection came to live in my house. 
                             I started with three discreet shelves in a hallway. 
                         Most of the tea kettles belonged to my grandmother.
   One must be rigorous. Did you know that collections multiply when you sleep ?  
                                           Yup, they're cunning.
         So don’t let your guard down. This collection even went below the shelves.
Very old, small items appeared out of nowhere: ivory handled jackknives, keys (including a huge and ancient key to a shop in the medina/old town of Tunis), ashtrays, a bell, a souvenir Eiffel tower, toy pots, a box of colored pencils from my husband's grade school days, and a bottle top opener. A Chinese embroidered jacket found at the flea market served as inspiration for the dragon watercolor. 
This lovely set of canisters with a tray from around the late 1930s was originally silver plated as can be seen on the egg cup in the middle. It was a wedding gift belonging to my Tunisian mother-in-law.
 And this Tunisian copper and tin canister originally had a lid and held sugar cubes.
     All right. I admit I love this collection for its sentimental and aesthetic value. 
                    But I still resist the urge to collect, and the battle rages on...

20 comments:

artymess said...

Lovely display .i never resist the urge to collect ....it's fun !!..x

Rachaeldaisy said...

I'm a natural born collector but I also try resisting to save my house from being too cluttered. Your shelves look wonderful filled with all those treasures. What a great installation. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Merilyn said...

Indeed, the Collection Fairy lives at my house too!! She gets busy at times!!! Your collection is magnificant, such beautiful pieces, they hold a lot of history!!!!

Katie said...

Oh, I could not resist THIS beautiful collection. Lovely canister...lovely everything. I would have caved for sure.
I used to justify my collecting with the fact that I would probably have kids one day and they may appreciate it too...but that's not happening. I may have one hell of an estate sale when I'm old. ha! What can I say, my grandma and mom have awesome taste and i can't see it given away.
Take care!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Maybe some would consider it clutter, but if it makes your heart happy - it deserves the space.

Diane J. Evans said...

So artfully arranged -- I expected nothing less from a talented artist such as yourself. What a treasured collection -- it must make you smile every time you look at it.

Diane

Cate Rose said...

All lovely, Nadia. But where's the dust? You either dust regularly or you live in a dust-free environment!

Carole Reid said...

Gorgeous collection, Nadia. Just know that I battle along beside you!

Ms. said...

Copper turns cloth green....Tin often produces black, and Iron something else in the spectrum.....but this collection is meant for the eye not the dye, It's a wonderful group of objects, and beautifully displayed. Since all things begin and end in dust, might as well treat them well while they're still in tact, and be happy!

Ms. said...

..and besides, resistance always produces it's equal opposite, so might as well surrender.

jinxxxygirl said...

I try to keep my collecting to only that which i truly love. If i don't love it, it doesn't cross my threshold. Love your collection and all the history that comes with it. Cherish it don't beat yourself up about it.....

Tonya Ricucci said...

wonderful collection! I've got that same bug myself... would be wonderful to see that key and bottle cap opener better - maybe hang some of those items on the wall so that they could be seen better?

bj said...

I love your collection(s)! My grandmother's teapot is one of my prized possessions...remembering Sunday dinners with her pouring everyone's tea from the bottomless pot.

rtquilter said...

Wow! If I had access to all of that stunning Tunisian stuff, I would have to move out of this house. As it is, it is chock a block- with -- collections! Lovely display, Nadia

Carli The Quilter said...

Lovely articles and story. Its a real problem sometimes, they do tend to arrive without or noticing!
Carli

Radka said...

Oh well, you can't win every time :)) I love your collection! Thank you for sharing it with us.

jan said...

It's a lovely collection, and beautifully arranged. I also love the quilt in your previous post. Enjoy your holiday.

barbbouk said...

Love this post! And love your collection!!

blandina said...

These are beautiful items, a piece of domestic history, really.

Linda A. Miller said...

Fabulous collection! Wonderful history in your home.