Friday, November 17, 2017

How Did This Happen???

I turned the page on my calendar and there it was, the first Christmas tree and reminder of the coming holiday season...How did this happen??? Seriously???It seems like just yesterday I was making my calendar for 2017...just yesterday...







After getting over the shock, I decided that I should at least end the year with a finish, a big finish. So I pulled out the Pomegranate Tree and realized there wasn't much left to do. I've been stitching a few weeds and cutting bias binding. The end is in sight.











And in the meantime, I've been covering the white lattice of my worn utility quilt with triangles and squares (needle-turn appliqué). This quilt whispers to me in the evening, cheering me up with its colors, reminding me that "slow and steady" is a good way to work.

7 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I'm working slow but not as steady as I would like. But I'm building up better habits again with my studio time after my daily Inktober sketching challenge. I KNEW it was good for something other than inventorying my shoes and improving my sketching skills. ;-)

I've not started on my pocket calendar spread that will hail the beginning of December but I too felt a bit of shock when I realized that is what I'd be working on. The black and white design for coloring in has nothing to do with December, or winter, or Christmas, but all the same, I am loath to start work on it because I know when done, I'll be facing the holidays and the end of the year head-on, and I don't believe I'm ready.

I'm excited about you finally finishing the last bits of the pomegranate tree. It has been a long time coming but oh, what a wonderful thing you have created there! And the lowly utility quilt is becoming more beautiful with each stitch.

Julie Fukuda said...

Funny about how time seems to sneak up on you like that. Your pomegranate tree is great and that is about the fanciest "utility" quilt I have ever laid eyes on.

Ms. said...

Time passing - beautiful work - a gift for slow work: https://youtu.be/wbhtGxFRC4E

Els said...

YES time rushes by .... (certainly at this age ;-) ...)
so use it well !

LOVE the close up look of AAAAAALL the stitches on your pomegranate tree !
And that needle turned lattice on your old quilt !!!(remember very well how much work that takes when I did it on my jacket ... that piece always brings YOU to my mind !!!)
Have a good weekend Nadia !

shirley said...

I have just come back to blogs and am amazed at what I have been missing. This is wonderful work you are doing

Mo Crow said...

so good to see your pomegranate tree!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm with you in thinking the year has absolutely flown by. All those things that I had hoped to accomplish are still waiting to be even begun (at least most of them!).