Sunday, January 15, 2017

Starting 2017 Gracefully, 4

My studio wraps itself around me and says "thank you for cleaning" every time I enter. This took awhile because my goal was to clean only one item a day, however, here we are half way through January and I can find everything in the drawing/art supplies half of the room                                                    -->           







<--and in the sewing side of the room.







On top of the chest of drawers is an antique Persian prayer rug, inherited from my grandmother.


Despite its threadbare state, the craftsmanship commands respect.



















And I have no idea how my grandmother acquired it.



In the meantime, I attempted the first assignment for Veronica Lawlor's "A Drawing A Day" class in fabric after doing it on paper; a blind sketch of items on my (newly cleaned) desk.

Well, you know, a half-blind sketch. I had to look more often in order not to sew my fingers.

First, I sewed down some fabric pieces to help block out the composition of brushes, markers and pens 
The emphasis for the first week was on line--wild line! My little ol' Singer was (almost literally) smokin' by the time I finished--a very exhilarating way to draw!

6 comments:

Debbie said...

A clean studio and you can find things....wonderful idea. Probably won't happen very often here, but I love to see your drawing and sketches.

Cate Rose said...

I love your sketch! Gestural drawing in thread. Very cool.

Julie Fukuda said...

Very inspiring!

Norma Schlager said...

Your studio looks so nice. I've been doing some cleaning and purging myself, but I have a long way to go.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Oh wow - your fabric stash looks incredible! All those yummy colours just asking to be used.

Mo Crow said...

Wow blind stitching, had a go by hand a few weeks ago but there was too much blood letting involved!