Sunday, October 16, 2016

Inching Along

My days follow a simple routine so somehow I manage to make progress on complex work, if only at a snail's pace.

This piece has me reflecting on aging, retirement, and how life wears thin and develops holes and tears here and there. And on the increased effort required to maintain good health. 
And how life transforms into something different, something that has its own beauty. My process and my thoughts intermingle as I stitch. 

I feel like this is the hardest piece I've ever done on a technical level, but then again, maybe not...And I feel like this is the hardest part of my life, but then again, maybe not...


Once in awhile the routine gets broken by a drive into Tunis. Last Thursday, I sketched people walking, a baby in the waiting room of a medical lab, a Sultan and clients in the restaurant "Sultan Ahmet." 

<--The Sultan and I. 




The page was "pre-painted," meaning I was going to do something else and changed my mind. All in all, an enjoyable and creative autumn day. 

Linked to Nina Marie's "Off the Wall Friday."

7 comments:

Linda M said...

Love what you are doing with the shirts, the intertwining. I must say all your work looks very challenging to me.

Martha said...

what a cheerful post. i must go stitch something now that i've been inspired. thanks.

Cate Rose said...

The shirts are unbelievably awesome. Love your sketches and your unique alphabets. Hope all is well in Tunisia these days. Hugs.

Els said...

Love your BIG piece (and the musings !!!!!)

Always wondering what people say when they
see you sketching them ..... ;-)
(wonderful page again.

All the best to you and Husband, dear Nadia !

Ms. said...

Challenges have not diminished your ability to capture the moment. I'm always glad to have an update from you. Wishing you and your husband well.

Nat Palaskas said...

I'm loving this piece. I also going through 'he goes to work and he retired' stage! My turn is coming sometime soon too. Hope all is well. Love seeing your posts again - Hugs Nat

Cheryl Razmus said...

That shirt applique is so beautiful! Inspiring! I love your spirit of making art with items that have already been a part of your life, and giving them a rebirth.