Saturday, September 10, 2016

Heat and Buses

Public transportation in Paris is wonderful. Efficient and reasonably priced, it can take you just about anywhere in the region. When public transportation employees go on strike, traffic becomes so snarled that is nearly impossible to go anyplace.

The French recently sold some of their used buses, without air conditioning, to Tunisia. Now in France they probably don't need A/C, but, in Tunisia, temperatures are usually over 90°F for most of the summer, and into autumn as well. How do we solve this problem? Simple solution: Open the windows and doors and drive faster.

That's exactly what I noticed when I took the bus a few weeks ago. Certain employees of the bus company get the choice spot of standing by the open doors. Never mind if the driver should hit the breaks suddenly--heat trumps safety.
Fortunately, it rained last Wednesday; it was a glorious thunderstorm that washed away months of dust. The temperature dropped below 90°F. Autumn in Tunisia is a pleasant time of year. Hot weather will continue, but, it will be less extreme. They may even close the doors on the buses... 

2 comments:

O'Quilts said...

Thinking of you over there in Tunisia...Take care.

KhadijaTeri said...

Eid Mubarak! Last week I passed through Tunis on my way to Libya. Too bad I wasn't there long enough to have a visit. I was in a hurry to get here for Eid. Now I have jetlag and a pile of meat to deal with... oh... and I'm still waiting on my luggage. The last news was that 2 bags made it to Tunis and one is still in limbo. Hopefully they'll catch up with me soon.