Monday, July 20, 2015

Holding the Line

Determined to give my grandchildren a day at the beach, I set off with them to Hammamet (Tunisia). Even though the wind whipped the waves around and blew sand in my journal, I watched them play in the water as I started a small sketch...

Then my daughter called: "Go home right now. There's been a terrorist attack an hour away from you."

That was that. Home we went. The news was not good. A man with a kalashnikov ended the lives of 39 tourists on a beach in Sousse. Panic all around. Most tourists got on the next plane home. The British government sent a team to follow the investigation and then told all British citizens to leave Tunisia. I can't blame them: government authority has been seriously undermined since the revolution, plus the long border with Libya is difficult to control and arms are flowing into Tunisia. An Etat de siège (State of Emergency) was declared until the end of August. The beach towns that depend on tourism now look like ghost towns.

In addition, the extent of corruption makes the enforcement of the law difficult and the judicial system suffers. Tunisians appear to be losing sight of the concept of civic responsibility. Garbage collection and refuse dumping continue to be problems. I regularly put on gloves and old work clothes to pick up garbage in front of my house--three big bags last time.

I remain committed to living in Tunisia, however, many unanswered questions now hang in the air. We take things a day at a time. We are holding the line...for the time being.

20 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

Thanks for the update. I have been thinking of you since the news reached Tokyo. We live here in such a safe place ... even though frustrating, our problems are small. It is hard to imagine the issues you have to face. I continue to pray for your safety and well being.

Suzanna said...

Thinking of you, Nadia...and admiring your courage and commitment...stay safe. xoxo, s.

Donna~~ said...

Glad to hear from you. Thank you for the update. Stay safe.

Debbie said...

Glad to hear from you, as I had wondered after hearing of the attacks. Glad you are safe. It is always interesting to hear your view of events. Stay safe.

Mary said...

So relieved to see your post. Take care.

Mo Crow said...

(((Nadia))) thanks for this update!

Radka said...

I did think about you at the time and wondered how far away you were..
It's tragic, so many people not coming back from their holidays; some of them had been going to Tunisia for years. Tragic for Tunisian people, not knowing what will come next.
Keep in touch :-)
xx

The Inside Stori said...

Thank you for your update......been worrying about your situation.....your strength is admirable! It's scary and depressing to see the deterioration of the world. Stay safe.

Unknown said...

Praying for your safety and wisdom from California.

O'Quilts said...

Good heavens...even the news in Charlotte about Tunisia is not good. Every time I hear of it..I think of you on your farm and your sketches and your grands and your teaching...If wishes and good thoughts were only reality. Hugs from NOrth Carolina

rtquilter said...

My goodness, nadia!!! DO, please be careful. We need you and your wisdom and creativity. Your family needs you too. If you start feeling unsafe, please get out. Thinking of you so much every time I hear news of the area!

Doris Perlhuhn said...

Good to hear from you. Stay safe
Doris

Pilgrim said...

Hi Nadia,

Glad to hear you are ok. What a scary time. Sorry to hear you have to clean up other people's garbage! Be careful.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Please stay safe!

Bouts Choisis said...

Word's fail me - it's impossible to express how I feel about what is going on in the world. One horror after another. Watching the news is the stuff of nightmares every day. When/where will it all end? Keep safe! Lynne.

Linda in Calif. said...

Nadia - I saw it on the news, and worried about you. Good to see you are okay and to see your wonderful drawing.

Tonya Ricucci said...

I thought of you when I heard the news, but had no idea you were actually so close to the events. What a horrific event in a country already hurting so much. And you remain hopeful - you have an indomitable spirit.

Janice / Dancing with Sunflowers said...

I also thought of you when I heard the news. Very pleased to hear that you are safe.

Emma said...

What an awful few months for Tunisia, it's bound to affect you & yet you seem so positive in frustrating circumstances. So sad.

Mary Keasler said...

this makes me cry. may you and yours always be safe