Saturday, March 7, 2015

Blue & Green

The teaching job cuts seriously into my artistic time. On this 7 1/2" tall standing calendar (from a bank), I planned to create a fabric collage about once a month, however, it's been a year since I created the first page. 
 









Several colors do not occur often in my work and one of them is that wild yellow-green color that appears almost fluorescent. I don't know if styles have changed, however, I have seen a lot of it in recent years and have always thought "too wild." Then I looked at some surviving childhood artwork (in pastels) and realised that at one time it was one of my favorites. Revelation. When did I lose that affinity? When did I become so rigid?


Last Saturday, I decided to change the calendar, so I cut and glued fabric onto the next page. Rule of thumb: it had to be fast with no stitching.







Maybe this small calendar project will have a blue and green theme, which goes well with the hanging on the wall. On the other hand those childhood colors look tempting--those plums, purples, reds, oranges.....

3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a lovely little piece that goes so well with the quilt on the wall. Beautiful viniette. And yes, isn't it interesting the colors that naturally surface even tho we think we have other leanings.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I like this! What a great use for an outdated calendar that so often just gets tossed away. I do love that green, but haven't worked with it.

Julie Fukuda said...

My grandson's favorite colors are purple and lime green ... two colors I have least of in my stash.