Monday, November 17, 2014

A Memory in Memory

A couple of days ago, it was my Tunisian sister-in-law's birthday. Affectionately called Tata (diminutive for "aunt" in French), she lived right next door and had received the Final Invitation to Eternity the week before. So for the last couple of weeks, I have been engulfed in Tunisian funeral rites and receiving family and friends coming to express their condolences. My daughter managed to fly in from the States in time (funerals are within 24 hours in the Muslim world) and we said a last goodbye to Tata with the support of cousins, nieces, nephews, and family friends.

While helping to put things in order, I came across a watercolor that I did for her in 1988 for her birthday. We had little people hanging around then so playful ideas, like teddy bears, appeared. The painting was at the bottom of a sack, and a bit worn with yellowed, spotted paper. I cut it out, spatter painted a new background, glued it on, and sent her a happy birthday message in a prayer.

May she be granted peace and may her birthday celebration bring her joy in the Beyond. 

In loving memory of Tata (November 1945-November 2014).

3 comments:

Kahna said...

She left an empty space in my heart... She left too soon, but she left the way she wanted to leave. Her last birthday, she told me that the best birthdays of her life were when you brought her chocolate cake, I made her a card that you helped me on, and you took Sam to the local mercerie to get her a little something. I told her no matter how upset you were with my mom, she always made sure to make your birthday special. You're an amazing woman mom, and I hope you'll hang around for many many years to come. The world will be a different place after you.

Mo Crow said...

what a beautiful honouring Nadia!

KhadijaTeri said...

May she rest in peace. My deepest condolences Nadia.